Monday, July 23, 2012

lemonade head


For obvious reasons, this summer I'm rocking 'rita-free. But what's a lady to do without a margarita in-hand when triple-digit heat bakes the Washington region in record-breaking waves? When water won't quench cravings for sour-and-sweet over ice? Well, I'm happy to report at 27 weeks pregnant I have finally had my pickles-and-ice-cream moment: Last week I sent Jon to Williams-Sonoma to buy a citrus squeezer. Why? Fresh-squeezed lemonade, my friends.

While nothing beats a fresh margarita served over ice in a glass with a salted rim, fresh lemonade sure comes close. The trick, I've found, is to shake the citrus-sugar concoction, not stir. Here's the recipe I've been using to make this simple afternoon sugar rush:

Ingredients:
juice from 1 lemon
2-3 T sugar, as preferred
2 c. chilled water
handful of ice

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously overhead for 30 seconds. Pour all contents into a glass and serve with a lemon slice. It's that simple. Feeling fancy? Add a few raspberries. Or when a day is particularly mean and hot, I'll juice two lemons instead of one. Somehow the extra punch of sour really puckers me up and cools me down. And, yes, it's worth the trouble. If you have any doubts you're welcome to check out the stack of lemons piled high in our kitchen's fruit bowl.

Bonus: The baby really digs this drink, too, affirming his/her approval with an all-out dance party. Very fun.
...