Tuesday, July 24, 2012

our 3,000 calorie brunch



This weekend's weather felt more like late April than late July. While the persistent mist and occasional showers didn't leave me wanting for another summer scorcher, it certainly put me in the mood for a generous helping of comfort food. So Jon and I trekked over the river to check out Ted's Bulletin on Capitol Hill. We had heard a lot about their brunch--namely, about their house-made pop tarts--and, since both the President and Bryce Harper have given the Barracks Row diner a solid stamp of approval, we figured a lazy, rainy Sunday was as good a day as ever to check out the joint. What followed was both glorious and gluttonous, and will probably never happen again postpartum.

Located in what was once the neighborhood's long-time hardware store, the place has a Depression-era feel to it and its menu is laid out in newsprint--something I totally geeked out over. It was packed, but we were lucky enough to score two swivel seats at the bar. Seeing me ogle the marble paneling, our bartender told us Ted's interiors were redone using Art Deco fixtures from the old Philadelphia Civic Center. Very cool.

 
I, the teetotaler, ordered the Heath Almond Brothers milkshake and Jon, the elbow-bender, ordered the 4-Alarm Bloody Mary--spiced with Cholula, Sriracha, Tabasco, and red pepper flakes. (They have alcoholic shakes, too!)
 
To my great disappointment, Jon did not opt for Jon's Omelet, but instead ordered the corned beef hash with scrambled eggs and corn bread toast. For me it was all about the diner classics, and I opted for Ted's Famous Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup. 
The hash was tender, meaty, and had just the right amount of rosemary to remind you it was still summertime and herbs were still fresh. The plate paired perfectly with the cornbread, which was lightly buttered and toasted. And what's not to like about a golden grilled cheese dipped into a thick tomato soup? Nothing, my friends. Nothing. My only regret was not having enough space to polish off the strawberry pop tart our bartender treated us to. It was--with its rainbow sprinkles, light frosting, and flaky pastry--a taste of childhood.
...