Friday, September 14, 2012

a moses basket for baby d

 
No, the nursery is not done yet. But never fear: Thanks to the hubs, when Baby D comes home from the hospital he or she will have a place to sleep. Last night (in the company of Thursday Night Football), Jon assembled the stand for the Moses basket my mother gave us. Originally, I planned to place Baby D straight into the nursery, which is right next to our bedroom. But my mom insisted on starting the baby out closer. "You'll be getting up so many times to nurse in the dark in the middle of the night," she said. "It's so much easier to have the baby near you those first few weeks." Well, my mom has done this whole baby thing six more times than I, so I figured I'd take her word for it. 

But our bedroom doesn't have a good place for a permanent fixture such as a bassinet, and I didn't want to rearrange the room to accommodate something that we will only need a couple of weeks. I have, however, long loved Moses baskets. They're like bassinets, only portable. And I like that they can easily be reused in the nursery and play room as toy storage. So a Moses basket it was.

We placed ours not among the reeds by the bank of the Nile, but in the empty nook by our dresser. It can move closer to our bed at night, or be tucked away and out of sight when not in use. I love it. And, at the very least, it buys us a few more weeks before the nursery has to pull itself together ;) 
For the stand, we registered for this one from Buy Buy Baby (thanks Maggie and Brad!). It gently rocks, which I like, as I hear newborns fall asleep faster with a little bit of motion. As for the basket, I've already written about my love for Serena & Lily's baby and nursery pieces; and here is a link to their Sausalito Basket collection, where my mom got ours.
...