Wednesday, September 12, 2012

two rotten bananas

 
My husband doesn't eat bananas. Or any fruit, for that matter. (Another story, another time.) That said, when I buy a bunch of bananas I'm often left with one or two that brown out before I can peel and eat them. Luckily, I have a banana bread recipe that is simple and quick, uses ingredients that are most likely already in your pantry, and makes a bread that is delicious.
Ingredients:
- 2 overripe bananas
- 2/3 c. light brown sugar
- 3 T butter, soft but not melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda

Preheat oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease one loaf pan with Crisco or 1 T of butter and set aside. With an electric mixer, cream the bananas and sugar in a large bowl. Add butter and mix until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time until fully incorporated. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Pour mixture into the loaf pan, bake for 1 hour. (I usually check on it with a toothpick after 45 minutes.)
When stored properly, this banana bread keeps for a long time, too. And it's dense enough to hold up in the toaster or re-purposed as French toast. Yum!
...