Monday, August 19, 2013

cherries, jalapeno, and basil. oh my.

Jon and I have been trying to make an effort to get the farmer's market every weekend. And why not? Falls Church hosts one of the best ones I've ever been to. I love strolling from vender to vender, sipping my morning coffee and eyeing what's fresh. Just the other week there were tables and tables of cherries for sale. Oh, and the basil and peppers are nice right now, too.
Cherries, a jalapeño, and some basil, eh? Well, it just so happened we were going to a friend's house for dinner that evening, so I snapped up a box or two of cherries for an appetizer I just so happened to have up my sleeve. The results: a standing ovation.
Ingredients:
- 2 c. sweet cherries, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. packed basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
- mild creamy cheese, such as goat or brie
- crackers
To prepare, all you have to do is toss the first seven ingredients in a large bowl and chill for one hour before serving over cheese and crackers. Yes, it is that easy. But, oh, the flavor is so complex and wonderful. There's sweet, there's savory, there's heat. You won't regret making this one ... promise.
^^Nom nom nom.^^
...