Monday, August 26, 2013

bedside table.

I suppose I could start this post by saying something colloquial, like one man's trash is another man's treasure. But instead I'll start it by saying this: Annie Sloan paint is amazing. Last weekend I was walking Bogie around the block and came across a bedside table sitting curbside next to piles and piles of trash. When I went to take a closer look at it I found it was made of solid wood with tongue-and-groove construction and trimmed with decorative carving. Sure, the color wasn't great, but the pulls were intact and there didn't seem to be any damage or pest infestation (ew, thank goodness). So home I went to order Jon to fetch me the furniture. 
The very next day I marched to Stylish Patina in Falls Church to peruse their selection of Annie Sloan paints. I've worked with Sloan's paints before (remember our fab desk?), so it was just a matter of picking out the correct color. I brought home samples of Scandinavian PinkFrench Linen, and Versailles. Honest, if you had asked me in the store I would have guessed I would have chosen the French Linen for this project, but after I got home and saw how delicate the Versailles looked in the decorative carving, the decision was easy. Also easy: the fact that Annie Sloan paints don't require any sanding or priming. And there's very little--if any--odor, so there was no worrying about Cecile getting woozy from my work. 
I used the remainder of my French Linen sample to coat the inside of the drawers and I really like the contrast ... even though I'm probably the only one who will ever regularly see it :) To finish the project, I rubbed the piece down with Annie Sloan's soft wax, which gives the paint a nice sheen. 
So there you have it. I couldn't be more pleased with my new bedside table. Now go ahead and tell me how jealous you are ;) ;) Oh, and if you ever get the chance, definitely check out the folks at Stylish Patina. They were so very helpful and the store is super cute. I will absolutely be returning.
^^ta-ta!^^
...