Thursday, April 17, 2014

something a little silly.

Hi! So I have been M.I.A. from blog land as of late. Truth is, I have been insanely consumed with all things house-related. And when I say, "insanely consumed," what I really mean is straight-up insane. Like, insane-insane. Because that's what happens when you're stuck inside a too-small rental during a too-long winter, and all your spare time (read: child's nap time) is filled with pouring over design blogs and webzines so that you can finally make your damned mind up about what ceiling color and trim color and grout color and we-no-longer-care-what-it's-for color. And that's when you do something silly like this. 
See, I've been seeing zebras. Scalamandra Zebras, to be specific. I first spotted them at a friend's house, after her husband (yes, her husband; he's special) insisted they paper their powder room in the same wall coverings as seen in The Royal Tenenbaums. (We really do have awesome friends.) So they did, and it looks fabulous. And then I started seeing the zebra paper in all those magazines and blogs I was telling you about. And then I spotted them again in a mail-order catalog. And then Cecile and I went to the zoo and saw some real zebras. And at the zoo there was a "handimal" kiosk, where they can turn your child's handprint into virtually any zoo animal. And then it rained, and nap time came, but I couldn't bring myself to look at one more design catalog, to make one more house-related decision. So then, my friends, I used my time to do something a little silly.
I took an old biscuit bin that had been storing Cecile's markers and, using a leftover paint sample (there are too many to count lying around here, let me tell you), started covering it. Then, when Cecile woke up, I (using another leftover paint sample) made several handprints on the painted container. Then, after Cecile went to sleep that evening, I made those handprints into little roaming Scalamandre zebras. Yes I did. Now the marker container is pretty damned chic, if I may say so myself. But that chic container also proves to anyone who's ever had a suspicion that, yes indeed, I've gone pretty damned nutty. 
So there you have it, folks. I haven't been blogging because I've been making little Scalamandre Zebras "handimals" leaping all over empty biscuit bins. I'm gonna open up an Etsy shop, too, just you wait. My next project? Handimal-ing our future powder room to look like Thibaut's Monterey paper. Please don't worry about me. I'm fine. Really I am. Okay then, gotta go ... Cecile and I have got to go get to work on that powder room now. We'll be moving home soon, after all ...
... right? 
...