Wednesday, December 17, 2014

ginger scones.

I made some pretty fabulous ginger scones the other week. I'm not sure what brought on the idea that we needed several single-serving cakes laying around our house just before the holiday binge, but lo, there I was in the kitchen during Cecile's nap whisking milk in a crater of flour and baking soda. 

The recipe I used was from Teaism--a nice little spot in Dupont I used to hit when still working downtown. Though I never tried one of their self-proclaimed "popular" ginger scones, I certainly trust they'd be good. Most things on their menu are. Plus, everything the recipe called for I already had in my pantry. No need to run out for buttermilk or heavy cream, for this recipe works with milk. 
 Ingredients:
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. cake flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar, plus a pinch more for dusting
- 1/2 tsp. dried ginger
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut in pea-size cubes
- 2 oz. chopped, crystallized or candied ginger
- 3/4 c. milk (I used cream-line) 
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 tsp. cold water for egg wash
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place dry ingredients in a large bowl and lightly mix. Add the cubes of butter and, using the underside of a fork or your fingers, blend until the mixture resembles a course cornmeal. (Some large pieces of butter should remain.) Stir in the ginger. Make a well in the bowl and pour the milk in the center. Using your fork, whisk the contents of the bowl together. Be careful not to overmix. With floured fingers, pick up the sticky mix and round it out on a floured surface. It should stand about 1/2-inch thick. Place into an ungreased baking sheet and cut across the circle of dough with a butter knife to make either six or 12 triangles, depending on how large you'd like each serving. Brush the top of the loaf with the prepared egg wash and sprinkle with some sugar. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden. Cool briefly, then enjoy!
Our scones turned out great. There were no surprises or major adjustments to the recipe needed. And they were done and ready to eat in no time. I even had time to clean the kitchen, boil a pot of tea, and enjoy one with a magazine before Ms. C woke up and required my attention again. I absolutely plan to make them again before Christmas :) 
...

No comments:

Post a Comment