Friday, April 12, 2013

one for each hand.

Maybe I missed Vero. Maybe it was the 90-degree heat. Or maybe I felt there was no better way to toast Lilly. Whatever it was, mama had a mean craving for a pina colada this week. It all started on Monday, when I picked up a pineapple from the grocery store. On Wednesday I realized I had coconut milk in the fridge I needed to use up, and then by Thursday my blender was piled high with ice and ready to rev. And, oh, did this cold, sweet treat ever hit the spot. I highly recommend blending up a batch. You'll never resort to a pre-made mix again either. 
I based my recipe off of Paula Deen's, throwing in some extra pineapple for heft. (Why not? Call it a smoothie, you health nut, you!) And it's a good thing I did, as--whoa, whoa--Lady Deen is one heckuva boozehound. Just one tall glass had me feeling pretty, pretty good, let me tell you. 
Ingredients:
- ice cubes
- 1/2 c. rum (I set sail with Bacardi Select, not Captain Morgan's)
- 1/2 c. cream of coconut
- 1/4 c. coconut milk
- 1 c. pineapple chunks
- sliced pineapple, for garnish
- Maraschino cherry, for garnish
Directions: Fill your blender halfway with ice cubes. Add rum, cream of coconut, coconut milk, and pineapple chunks. Puree, pour, and serve with a pineapple wedge and cherry. (Yield: 4)
Cheers!
...