Saturday, October 13, 2012

baby d's nursery

 
With just one week left until my due date, our office has officially transitioned into the nursery. A changing table and dresser stands where our desk once was, a rocking chair replaced our leather recliner, and the crib is assembled and awaiting le bebe's arrival. Finally (!!), without further ado, here's a peek at Baby D's future digs:
You'll find my favorite things where our peanut will sleep. My grandmothers--Lolly and Grandma Jean--made the needlepoint bear and soft knit blanket, respectively, and Jon's Grandma Dorothy bought us our baby's mid-century crib. It's really special that each of Baby D's great-grandmothers will be a part of our child's sweetest dreams.
Etsy is a dangerous rabbit hole for a mom-to-be to fall into. (Poor Jon.) I found our hanging mobile and wall garland (handmade from a vintage map of Paris) on the site, as well as many of the letterpress prints in the wall collage. As for the toy department, Etsy offers a lot of natural, wooden playthings that I like. Maybe because Bogie's toys taught me no-squeak is always better than squeak, but I'll take a set of simple wooden blocks over the latest battery-operated plaything any day.
I found the rocking chair on Craigslist. It was a simple glider and cost next to nothing. We took it up the street to the shop--a.k.a. to my mother-in-law's house, where she used high-gloss paint in super white to make it truly, truly pop-perfect against the dark chocolate walls. (Thanks, Ellen!) We ditched the sorry-looking cushions the rocker came with for new ones made from indoor-outdoor fabric (read: spit-up proof!) from Duralee. As for the bookshelf, it's by Babyletto.
OK, Baby D: We're ready for you! Come out, come out sooner than later, please.
...